Tuesday, May 19, 2015

It's Been a Whirlwind

I have been in such a whirlwind that I haven't been able to even think about posting on this blog for the past couple of days. So so so sorry. I know my multitudes of fans are reading this shaking their heads at me in disappointment.

Well, I'm here! Here at the research lab, 2 days in, and I'm already swamped with stuff. I will definitely be learning a bunch this summer. I'm working in a marine fisheries lab, and my background is definitely not fisheries, so we'll see how this goes. I have a lot to do but it'll be worth it. Whatever experience I can get.

My project is mainly about blue crab (Callinectes sapidus) and its abundance here in the Mississippi Sound. I can't get into too many details because it's just the first couple days, but later on it will come together. Adjustments to the details of the project may happen based on how field work goes and how the data looks and so on.

We will be going out on a little skiff not even 20 feet long. It probably fits 2 people, 3 max. It's a little guy alright. We'll be setting out traps for blue crab and flounder (for another project), baiting them, and coming back to check them later on in the week. That field work will most likely start next week, mid-week.

Because of the flounder project going on simultaneously, I have become an expert at filleting flounder. So many flounder have come in to be worked up, and the lab will fillet the catch for you complimentarily. Yeah, no extra charge people. Come right on down, I'll be here all summer!

I've already told the whole lab that I get sea sick, so they have been warned...Hopefully I won't get sickly, because I have a lot more responsibility this summer than last summer. I won't have like 30 other students to step up to the plate for me. I'm taking a half dose of Bonine every morning to get it into my system so maybe that will work?? Ugh I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment