Friday, June 20, 2014

Thankfulness

You know, God showed up today.

Today was the last boat day of class and I thought 100% I would get sick at some point in the journey. But I wore these bracelets and took double the dosage of sea sick medicine and I was perfectly fine! I was super pumped. I actually got to do stuff! And participate like I wanted to! It was wonderful. I even got to tag a huge blacktip shark that we caught from our longline! Seriously, I had the best day. Except for the sunburn...

On our way back to the campus I finally got to sit down and just think. Just relax and try to take things in from what had just happened. You know, I joke around a lot about getting sea sick and stuff but it really has been discouraging. Especially since I want to be a marine biologist. I mean, come on. And then today was perfect and I was completely fine, unlike the other trips from earlier in the summer. It lifted me up so much. I didn't fully realize how much of an encouragement this trip was for me until I got to reflect back on it.

I think back to all the times I have been discouraged by others or circumstances in my life. So many times I have thought, "Why the heck am I doing this? Is this really what I'm supposed to do?" I become doubtful so easily. Even with the small things. Like getting sea sick. It seems small to you but it was a big deal to me. And then things work out and I'm like, "Yes. This is what I'm here for. Why did I ever doubt?" It makes me appreciate the little things in my journey so much more. Like today, I felt just overwhelmingly thankful. I just kept praying, "Thank You. Thank You for this life. Thank you for Your providence. Thank You for keeping me from throwing up! Just, thank You." It's been this phrase on replay in my mind. I'm just so thankful. For the encouraging days. For the discouraging days. In the end, it's all part of the plan. It's all for His glory. I wouldn't have it any other way.

"Give thanks in everything, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
-1 Thessalonians 5:18


No comments:

Post a Comment