Thursday, May 22, 2014

Guess What...

Yesterday. Was. Crazy. Like so crazy. 

We travelled down to Louisiana by Lake Ponchartrain to have out last camping trip. So we spent the night in Fontainebleau State Park. It was a lot fancier than the last park we stayed at, so I didn't complain. I actually had a bed to sleep on and not outside in a tent on the cold, hard ground. Apparently that night the carbon monoxide alarm went off but I slept through it. It was taken care of, don't worry. But seriously, that would have been horrible if everyone were like me and slept through that...We're living on the edge in herpetology.

That next morning, which was yesterday, we did our usual and checked traps and stuff. Then, we rented kayaks and rowed down Cane Bayou. This was the highlight of probably the whole class for me. I'll post pictures hopefully soon for everyone to see how pretty it was. It was very secluded and quiet. We all wanted to see a gator. Our eyes were on the lookout for at least one. And guess what...we saw a total of 6 alligators. Six!

I was in a tandem (2-seater) kayak with a classmate and we decided to try to catch one with our net. And guess what...we did! Yes, America, I, Claire Elizabeth Robinson, resident of the snooty suburbs of Nashville, caught an American Alligator in the bayous of Louisiana. And I did it all while in a kayak. How redneck and legit is that?

Of course once we got back from this 3.5 hour kayaking trip we were all sunburned to a crisp. Me especially. It hurts to bend my knees. Have you ever felt that feeling? You're so sunburned that you can't bend your knees. It's horrible. Don't do it. I'm applying aloe every 30 minutes and praying that it won't peel like crazy. 


It's gorgeous. But you know what? It was worth it. I got to see wild alligators and I have the battle scars to prove it!

No comments:

Post a Comment